I am always on the lookout for cleaning hints and recently spotted an article on home. BT which detailed some top tips from Aggie MacKenzie. You may know Aggie from TV’s How Clean Is Your House?
Anyway, here are her tips:
- Soak kitchen cloths overnight. Within eight hours, apparently, a single bacterium on a damp cloth can turn into 6 million! Soak your cloths overnight in a couple if inches of water in the sink with a capful of bleach or multipurpose cleaner.
- Keep toilet lids down. Toilet bowl germs can be airborne for two hours after flushing and travel up to six feet so do always replace the lid.
- Prevent food poisoning. About half of all cats and dogs carry campylobacter, which can cause food poisoning in humans. If your pets are allowed on the sofa or armchairs, make sure you spray the upholstery regularly.
- Sealing out germs. Seals around a fridge often harbour mould which may contaminate your food. Make wiping the fridge seals part of your regular cleaning routine.
- Removing stubborn bathroom stains. If you have hard-to-shift stains on your toilet bowl or enamel bath, try using a pumice stone to remove them. These stones are hard enough to remove stains but soft enough not to mark the surface.
- Get in the cleaning spirit. A splash of gin or vodka can be effective in removing stains on your carpets or upholstery.
So, there you have the expert’s tips!